Saturday, January 31, 2015

OFF-BEAT: My "Other" Job

Let's take you back in time.

I was lucky enough to be the game-day host for the Medicine Hat Tigers in the WHL during the 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 seasons.  Made a lot of good friends and even better memories.  And little did I know, being there would set some insane wheels in motion.

You see, I absolutely loved having that gig as my "rest and relaxation" time.  It was less about the hockey and more about improving the fan experience.  And I was given plenty of opportunity to do that.  So much so I still have one of my favorite memories from that time.

There was a young girl, couldn't be older than 3 or 4, who sat right above the entrance way to the bench for the Tigers.  She wanted a high-five as I came off the ice from a promotion but I couldn't reach.  So I jumped and we air high-fived.  It became our tradition every time.  One night she wanted a t-shirt that we were tossing out so as I made my way off the ice, I looked up but couldn't see her.  So I asked a gentleman sitting nearby if he could give the shirt to her when she got back.  Didn't think much more about it and continued on my way to the next promotion.  Later on in the game, as I was making my way around, I heard a loud "JOE!" and sure enough, it was the little girl, wearing her new t-shirt.  She runs up to me, with her arms wide open, and she comes in for a giant hug.  Her dad comes up to me and says "that's the nicest thing you could have done, thank you so much!"

When I left Medicine Hat, I never would have thought that my hosting career would continue.  Yet, it did.  Immediately started filling in with the Calgary Hitmen and have since moved up to full-time host, and much more.

I've filled in for the Flames and Roughnecks.  Was lucky enough to be a host for the Heritage Classic WHL game and the World Junior Hockey Championships.  Took over as the host for the U. of C. Dinos football team.  And in 2014, I added a few more notches to the belt.

It will be a year I'll remember as when my reign of terror hit overdrive.  I hosted the Stampeders vs. Hamilton game early on in the season, which meant I hosted at least one game for all four major sports teams in this city.  I went national in a sense when I was asked to host the CHL Top Prospects Game, featuring the best junior hockey players in the country, including a skills testing session which organizers were super-impressed with.  I was also lucky enough to host "Harvey's Redemption", an insanely emotional day at the 'Dome:


Plus there were all the non-sports events, like the Motionball Marathon of Sport Gala and the Beakerhead Catapult Competition.  Oh, and for good measure, I took over as a PA announcer for the Calgary Bantam Football Association this past fall.

I'm awake! It's #yyc bantam football announcin' time at Hellard Field. #loudmouthshnook #makesomenoise

A photo posted by Joe McFarland (@joemcfarlandyyc) on


What I love most about my "other job" is the stories like the one above.  Only it happens on an almost nightly basis.  Might be something simple like a conversation with a long-time season ticket-holder.  Might be a big thank you from the parents of kids that just got to play on 'Dome ice for Timbits hockey at intermission.  Might be just the big smiles the players have on their faces as their names are announced on the loud speakers.  It makes it all worthwhile.

2014 was an insane year.  And it's time for me to thank YOU for letting me be part of the insanity!  From the organizations and my absolutely amazing co-workers, to the players and fans, it is an absolute honour and privilege.  I feel like I don't get the chance to thank you all publicly for letting me do what I do.  We've had a pretty rad start to 2015 and I'm looking forward to seeing what kinds of shenanigans we can get into together.

MAKE SOME NOISE!

No comments:

Post a Comment